This recipe seemed to be begging me to make it. The original recipe used raspberries, but with the bounty of wild blackberries around my house, I had to make the change.
These rolls in the picture were actually made by my husband and sons while I was on vacation visiting my grandma. I had made them several days before but had forgotten to take a picture before they were devoured by my family. What a great excuse to make them again! He did leave me one for when I got home.
Watch the rolls carefully in the oven. The tops brown very quickly.
For the dough:
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1/2 cup for kneading
- a heaping cup of blackberries
- 1/3 cup Flavorstorm Vanilla Bean sugar, plus 1/2 cup Vanilla Bean sugar for sprinkling
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, browned in skillet and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon
- 1 Tbsp. water