This was a recipe that a fellow Weight Watcher handed out at a meeting last year. I had hoped to try it a little earlier in the summer when my zucchini crop was going crazy producing squash, but I’m still waiting for that to happen. I have only picked 3! Last year I had a much better crop starting from seed. This year I planted starter plants. I think its back to seeds next year.
Low-Fat Zucchini Nut Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used Vanilla Bean Sugar from Flavorstorm)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 Tbsp. Brummel and Brown spread, melted
- 3 Tbsp. minced pecans, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
In separate bowl mix zucchini, egg substitute, applesauce butter and vanilla. Slowly add to dry ingredients. Blend thoroughly. Mix half the pecans into the batter.
Line muffin cups with liners or spray with non-stick spray. Spoon batter evenly into 12 cups. Top with remaining pecans.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool.
Using Weight Watcher’s Recipe Builder, each muffin has 4 pts+.