When my son asked what was in the salad, and I told him “black-eyed peas”, his reply was “you mean, like the band?’ If that’s what gets him to try it, who am I to complain? He did eat a good sized portion too.
You can prepare this meal in the time it takes to preheat your broiler!
Mustard Chicken with Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 4 (5 oz. each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. coarse-grained mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leafed parsley
Spray broiler rack with non-stick spray; preheat broiler to high.
Combine chicken, 3 tablespoons of mustard, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper in a ziplock bag. Massage to coat, then place chicken on broiler rack and broil 4 inches from heat, turning once, until chicken is cooked through, about 4-5 minutes each side.
To make salad, stir together black-eyed peas, corn, onion, vinegar, parsley and the remaining 1 teaspoon mustard, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a medium bowl.
Serves 4. Each serving (5 oz. chicken breast and 2/3 cup salad) has 7 Weight Watcher pts+.
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food.